Monday 4 June 2012

Painting - Landscape near Oughterard


This landscape is based on a place near Oughterard, County Galway not far from the Bog I painted recently. It is also a bog but unworked for some time and now covered in a layer of grasses and heathers. Here's a photo I took of the area and below that the painting as it began - a rough sketch in charcoal.



















This is the next stage - I blocked in some areas of colour loosely with a wide brush. I decided to use green and pale pink which is what I see/remember when I squint my eyes. I'm also thinking about this combination of colour as I saw it while taking photographs of some wild flowers near my home ( see 'Wild Fuchsia and Nature's Colours' ).











This is the next stage (below). I took this photo just after I added the green ink to the pink acrylic paint and it has bubbled as it has made contact with the paper! I want to add depth to the landscape here but also retain these broad strokes of pink as much as possible. I am trying to suggest the taller grasses with the pink and green mixture at the base of the painting but without doing it too literally.












This is the piece as I have left it (below). I added more paint to the mountain and lake in the background. I also gave the painting some more contrast with brown ink and just a little more red.







No comments:

Post a Comment