Wednesday 11 April 2012

Spring flowers in Connemara

I took some photographs in the old graveyard in Clifden last week and among them several close ups of the wild flowers on the woodland floor. I included a photograph of the bluebells in a recent post but these were just the most visible plants. On closer inspection, I found a medley of colour and just at my feet!
This first picture is of the wild fuchsia, a plant that is truly synonymous with Connemara and far superior in my opinion, than its cultivated equivalent. I searched for an open flower and found only buds, but how beautifully they hang like ruby earrings. This amazing plant is the longest flowering of all and is found in hedgerows all over Connemara from early Spring right through Summer until the early Autumn.





The next photo is of the Celandine, the Lesser Celandine to be precise. This is a personal favourite, more delicate and humble to me than the buttercup or the primrose.






And one more picture of the bluebell, just to complete this trio of primary colour.






Lastly I have a picture of a dandelion clock, still perfectly intact and below that, a delicate white flower that I was unable to identify - help me out if you can!








3 comments:

  1. Do the wild fuchsias in Connemara get burnt and sometimes killed by the frost? They certainly do in the New Ross area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi and thanks for visiting my blog. No, this doesn't happen here because we rarely get frost in this area. Clifden is right on the coast and so we experience the warming benefits of the Gulf Stream. The main feature of our climate is rain and wind, which the fuchsia can withstand but which the residents ( myself included ) find a little challenging at times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know the feeling! But I think we perhaps get a bit more sun!

    ReplyDelete